Monday, July 07, 2008

Now, what was I doing again?

I woke up at 6:45 this morning. I haven't done that in a while. I actually woke up before that, but I hit the snooze until 6:45 and then realized it was 6:45 and bolted out of bed in sheer panic. I had to get out the door by 7:30 this morning, so yeah... No worries, though.

The reason for my panic is that Lily started summer school today. Her last day of school was back in May so we've had a nice cushy few weeks of vacation that consisted of nothing but staying up way too late and waking up way to late. Even Jackson protested this morning when I got him out of his crib and dressed him. All three of us were groaning like zombies in search of human flesh. It wasn't pretty.

But, we made it. Out the door by 7:30 and to the bus stop by 7:35. Now, I'm a complete noob when it comes to the bus. I, myself, have been on a school bus a handful of times throughout my life. Two of those times, a kid through up and I remember it trickling to the rear of the bus under our feet. I consider myself lucky that more kids did not through up. This, however, was the first time I'd put Lily on a bus for anything and I have to admit that I was a bit nervous. Lily and I had been chanting the number of the bus that was supposed to pick her up and bring her home off and on since yesterday. We walked the route a couple of times so she'd know exactly where it was. The good news is, the bus stop is right in front of one of her friends' house, so in case I'm late, she can wait there (like I'd be late!) We had a talk about stranger danger, what to do if someone tries to come near her, all that paranoid stuff that parents talk to their kids about (with good reason, too).

The bus was supposed to show up at 7:40. The bus did not show up until 7:56. And then, the bus that did show up was NOT the same bus that they said it was going to be in the little communique that I recieved last week. This wasn't bus 86! This was bus 810! We didn't practice 810! Why am I putting my kid on a bus again? Oh yeah... high gas prices, this is a way to save gas. Lily looked at me rather nervously as she got on the bus and I gave her my best "It's okay, honey. You'll be fine." Mommy look in return. If Portage wasn't such a busy and horrible street, I'd walk her to school and back.

In any case, as she left, I yelled "REMEMBER YOUR BUS NUMBER!" and off they drove. I can't wait until she comes home. I find myself asking a million questions. I also find myself somewhat lost. I'm used to reading a book with Lily first thing in the morning and then hanging out and watching cartoons with her.

Jackson is having a nap (he was out by the time we walked home), so he's not much for company and I find myself having a case of the dropsies. I'd take a nap, but I'm afraid that I won't wake up in time to get her from the bus stop. So, in search of caffinated beverages I go (we have plenty) and off I go to do housework. It's an odd day... I think I'm definitely going to have to get used to this.

No comments: