Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Two days down, a whole bunch to go.

Lily has had two days of school.  It's been busy busy around here so I haven't been able to blog until now.  Sure, I've had time to sit down and update facebook, but have I blogged? Negative.  So, here we go. 

The first day of school was yesterday.  It wasn't a run around, chaotic mess that I thought it was.  Everything went really smoothly.  Lily enjoyed herself and she said her teacher, Mrs. Bean was really nice.  I'm doing the carpooling thing this year and I picked up Lily and two of her friends to bring them home.  Maddy, one of the girls, is also in Lily's class.  Maddy said "Mrs. Bean yells at you when you won't stop talking.  She's mean."  Lily instantly piped up and said "Nuh-uh! She's nice!"  I had to laugh about that one.  Maddy always has been a bit of a talker.  

Fourth grade had homework the first day of school.  They got a spelling list of 20 words and they had to write them in cursive 5 times each.  While I can understand practicing writing I can't stand homework that is so incredibly monotonous.  That, and giving a child homework on the first day of school?  That's just mean!  We did the homework, no complaining.  I told Lily that fourth grade is harder than all of the other grades in primary (they go K to 4 in primary, 5-8 in middle and 9 to 12 in high school) and that they have to set examples to the other students.  I will refrain bashing the teacher for dull homework for now.  It's not as bad as what they sent home last year, which was writing numbers 1 to 1000 in small little boxes.   Yeah, I told Lily she simply was not doing that.  

Can you tell I'm not a fan of stupid homework?  If it's relevant, I'm all for homework.  If it's ridiculous (like writing 20 words 5 times each- why not have the kids write a story using spelling words?) then I'll yell at teachers and I won't make Lily do it.  Yep, I'm one of those crazy parents who doesn't like their kid doing insipid busy work.

This morning was somewhat more... dramatic.  I got up at 5:15 to prep for the neighbor dropping off their two grandkids.  They recently got guardianship of the two girls (both in 2nd grade) and asked if I would be willing to take them to school (I'm being paid.) and I said okay.  The only thing is they have to drop the girls off at 5:30 because grandma works as a nurse at 1st shift (starting at 6AM) and grandpa works at GM (also starting at 6).    Well, I let the girls in and noticed a bee had flown in with them.  I went to get the fly swatter to kill it, and as I was doing that, the neighbor said "Do you know you have a swarm of bees out there?"  And just as she said that, the sneaky bee stung one of the girls.  Insert lots of little girl screaming and crying.  

I turned off the porch light and the neighbor ran next door to get some benadryl.  I grabbed the wasp and bee spray while she did her nurse thing and killed about 20 bees hovering around my door.  I started looking around for where they were coming from (they were VERY aggressive) and I noticed a loud bee hum.  I looked up at the street light by my car and there was a large swarm of probably about 40-50 bees flying around the light.  I have never seen anything like it!  The girls were freaking out about bees for the rest of the morning, even watching over their shoulders as they left the car. 

After dropping off the kids at school, it was home for me to check email and then it was off to work my make up magic on our friend, Ben, who was having his headshots done today.  The photographer was amazing and Ben looked amazing.  We were occupied from around 8:30 until almost noon, though, so that didn't leave a whole lot of time for lunch and accomplishing stuff before we had to go get Lily and the other girls.   No homework today, so that was nice.  Lily and I hung out at home, talked about her day and then she went off to play with the neighbor kids and I played with Jack and gave him some much needed run around time.  Then, it was working on some producing stuffs and then off to my usual Wednesday girls night at the Cellar Door.  Twas nice. 

Yes, it's been a busy day.  Tomorrow we have a read through here and I have a ton of laundry to finish, not to mention everything else that needs to get done that was highly neglected today.  I gotta say, it's nice to be able to start getting back to a routine.  I like summer, but I like routine more.  I schedule better with routine simply because I know what's going on when and where. 

Oh, I do have an interesting lunch date tomorrow.... I'll have to let you know how that goes. 

No comments: