Cosmic Giggle

I think my parents are having a good laugh right now. When I was a kid of 7 or 8 year old, I would play in our living room. I'd set up a chalk board in front of my barbies (each named after characters from Sweet Valley Twins- thanks Francine Pascal) and I'd "teach" things. It usually involved something from the scrap paper sociology tests that my Dad would bring home from the classes he taught at the local community college. My dad would come home, we'd watch "You Can't Do That On Television" and he'd tell me "You should be a teacher, Jessie." And I would nod in agreement. Then, I became a rebellious teenager and the thought of following in my parents footsteps sounded completely awful. "You should be a teacher, Jessie." I would respond with "No! And don't call my Jessie!" I did the whole college thing for a minute and a half and then found a guy, pulled a "But Daddy, I love him!" Got married and knocked up, had a kid, life got in the way and then divorced the guy, life got difficult, married my best friend, life is still difficult but at least it's fun and I have a wonderful family. This is the part where I finally looked at my parents and said "I think I want to be a teacher." It wasn't so much an epiphany but a logical next step. I teach my own children on a daily basis as a stay at home mom. I love it when they learn new things and love bragging about how cool they are. I want to teach them as much as I can and I want to guide them as much as they can. I see friends' kids and I want to impart my own wisdom on them too. I'm controlling like that. SO, I did the only think that I could possibly do... I enrolled back into college and I've been taking classes for 3 months now and it's going really well. Casey is being super supportive, although he says I've never really given any indication of wanting to be a teacher (he wasn't there for the whole kid-Francine-Pascal-classroom-thing). I just recently got my substitute teaching license and I'm hoping to start that in a couple of weeks. Here we go... another adventure! And besides, the more on my plate, the more I feel accomplished!

Comments

Popular Posts