Experimentation

I didn't make any resolutions this year. I find that I lack the follow through in that department. BUT I have decided that I'm going to try new things all around. I'm certainly far from my comfort zone on this one, too. Today I am making homemade pulled pork for dinner. It's supposed to take 8 hours in the crock pot (4 if I put it on high, which is probably what I'm going to end up doing). While I'm becoming a pro as far as the crock pot is concerned, I've never made anything more than crock pot stroganoff or crock pop chicken and dumplings and the occasional beef stew (those are my top 3 recipes that I'm really good at as far as crock pot cooking is concerned). Normally, when I work with pork, it's making pork chops and then I buy them pre-cut, ready to be seasoned and thrown onto the frying pan.

Pulled pork... that's a whole different beast. First, you find yourself 3 pounds of pork shoulder. Make sure it's boneless. Then comes the trimming of the pork shoulder. That was an interesting thing to do... not to mention kind of slimy. I took off all but a little bit of fat, because fat adds to the flavor when you're cooking it. (This is according to Miss Abigail, an excellent chef that makes her own barbeque sauce and has a southern cooking restaurant right up the street from my house.) Then, into the crock pot it goes and you poor the sauce all over it and let it sit. If you want the sauce, you'll have to go look up the recipe yourself. I got mine off Allrecipes.com. Go, enjoy.

Also on the menu: homemade cole slaw, corn bread and I can't decide between baked beans and butter beans. Oh, and mac and cheese for the kids. Although, Lily likes butter beans. Heck, I like butter beans. They're tasty.

Yep, I'm being all sorts of domestic today! I'm also going to try and squeeze in a work out if I have time. It looks like I'm going to have to pick up the girls from school today since my neighbor isn't feeling well. She took Lily to school yesterday when my car was stuck in a snow bank so I figured why not? I owe her.

Note: pulled pork is smelling wonderful now that it's cooking. I'll keep you posted on whether or not it's yummy or not.

Comments

Popular Posts