Name that tune...
When I was in third grade my Dad gave me the record player that had previously been in our family living room. We had just moved into a new house down the street from our old house (both built by my Dad) and I didn't know why he didn't keep it in the living room. Maybe it was because my Mom had a big tape deck (not quite boom box) in the kitchen, their bedroom, her studio, and my Dad had his radio in the garage. There was always music playing somewhere in the house. But when I was 8, that was when I got a radio-record player combo in my room and to me, that was awesome.
Before that, I had a small Fisher-Price number specifically made for kids and I was allowed to listen to records in the living room, but actually having a stereo in my room? For the first time I was allowed to listen to music of my own choosing for the first time whenever I wanted to. Even though my Mom worked from home, I often had to be quiet because she was teaching in the next room. When we moved to the bigger house, she had her own studio downstairs from where I would be doing my homework or playing and as long as I wasn't too loud, I would listen to whatever I wanted.
After my parents divorce, for some reason or another I wasn't allowed to take the stereo with me when we moved. By that age I discovered MTV. For a short time, as a latch key kid (and on the days I wouldn't forget or lose my keys), I would go back to my cousin's house where we lived for a short time. The kids at the elementary school that my Mom enrolled me at in the Chicago burbs were not nice. They teased me about not seeing certain videos or not knowing who was popular. It was around this time I got my first walkman and would sing along to songs on the bus home. This definitely didn't make me any friends. There was one particular boy who lived next door to us who was more than a little mean about me belting out tunes.
I was and still to this day remain oblivious to people whenever I'm singing along with anything in public and can be found jamming along with whatever I'm listening to whilst roaming the aisles of my local walmart. Someone out there has to have some awesome security videos of me dancing around.
Tonight is one of those nights. The wife is still awake and in the main house, while I relax on the couch in the casita, trying to stay away, waiting for her. She's writing her own thing this evening. Processing whatever it is she's processing. I doubt that I'll be able to stay away much longer, though. I am definitely fading fast thanks to some very chill 90s tunes.
I think tomorrow after I finish my list of tasks I may sit and try and make some music. It's been a while but I'm feeling creative. That's a huge thing for me. The creativity comes in spurts and doesn't tend to stick around for very long so I try and chase that particular butterfly whenever the opportunity presents itself.
So yeah... I definitely think it's time for me to go to bed.

Comments