My brain hurts...

Today I learned two new things at school and my brain honestly hurts. Seriously folks, I have a migraine. I've discovered that the only days that I have head pain, though, are days that I do perms (which I am happy to say that I am pretty proficient at now, so yeah... need a perm, I'm your girl), so yeah.... Perm today = headache today.


My head also seems to be bursting at the seems with knowledge (which, coupled with a migraine makes not for a fun class for Jess), though, so no complaints there. Today I learned how to do two new things. The first, while I enjoy the look of it, I completely suck at (and have since brought home my mannequin to practice) is finger waves. I think that finger waves are truly awesome. They have an air of glamour to them and I actually saw two models in the new Aveda calendar with finger waves. They looked like movie starlets from the 1920's or 30's. Beautiful. Sexy. Glamourous. I really want to work hard on learning how to do these properly because I do think they look so beautiful. I forsee lots of practice and sticky, gel covered hands in my future, though.


The other thing I learned today was how to do foil highlights. Now, while I have not actually gone and done the foil highlights (will be doing that tomorrow), the method we were shown today seems to be the easiest method out there. I have to say, though, I feel a little intimidated by the thought of doing foil highlights on someone's whole head. Unfortunately, that's something I'll just have to overcome because that, my lovely blog readers, is where the money is. Money is now in color and color is where most stylists (or fashionistas as I like to call because the good ones go for a total look concept, not just hair by itself) earn the bulk of their cash these days.


Thankfully, I have a very active imagination and I tend to be on the creative side when it comes to color. My problem is that I have to overcome the fear of mising colors and taking risks with color. My teacher said this to us: "You're either a colorist or a color applicator. You can't be a colorist without taking risks." Yeah, I want to be a colorist.


So, for the month of December I'm trudging through my color classes. Occasionally kicking and screaming simply because it's hard and I hate doing stuff that's hard, but I look at it like this: I'm doing this for my own good. Right? Right! So, suck it up Jess, put a big smile on your face, have a tube of color and some developer and go have some fun. I just keep thinking of it like I'm an artist working on a very odd canvas and my color takes time to develope. Yeah.

See, I can still be optomistic! OH, and I definitely need some guinea pigs....

Comments

Popular Posts