Attempting to gnaw at stuff...

The big news this week is the fact that Jackson is cutting two teeth! I think that it was on Wednesday when we noticed the first one and I proceeded to get very excited. And then Thursday afternoon, just after lunch, I was checking on the progress of the tooth and noticed a second tooth cutting the surface of his gums. This time I did the whole excited thing but then proceeded to scrunch up my face and say: "Jackson, stop growing so fast!"

You know, I remember when Casey told me that a boy was going to be in a hurry to do everything. I guess that means he's in a hurry to grow up, too. Personally, I don't want little man to grow up too fast. It's bad enough Lily keeps growing, but does Jackson have to as well? The suckiest thing about being a mom is the fact that your kids grow up.

In about twenty minutes my mom is picking me up for "ladies day out." We're going to see Evita at the Morris Civic Auditorium in lovely, snow filled Downtown South Bend. I've been looking forward to this since November when I found out it was going to be playing there. I have seen Evita four times.

The first time I was about 8 years old and my dad took me to see it in Bloomington. We left after school (I think I had a half day that day) and drove up. We spent a couple of hours driving around the IU Bloomington campus and Dad showed me where his dorm was, different buildings, where he attended classes, the fountain there, this great pizza place (which I think still exists and does have excellent pizza), the Student Union, the chapel where he and my mom got married and finally we went to the performance. I thought it was the most awesome thing I'd ever seen!

The second time I saw it Chicago with my mom. Again, incredible. The third time, however, was by far the best experience. I saw it at the Kennedy Center in Washington D.C. with my dad and my step-mom. Every summer we would go to D.C. when I was a kid and we'd try and catch some sort of performace at the Kennedy Center. I have seen Evita, Miss Saigon, Madame Butterfly, and Phantom of the Opera there. My parents were always rather awesome as far as exposing me to various cultural venues. Often times we had to drive quite a ways to see whatever it was, but I always enjoyed it. It's something that I'd like to do with Lily and Jack if possible. My mom has taken Lily to several kids plays and ballets. She doesn't seem as interested as I was at that age, though. You can't force kids, you can just expose them and hope that it inspires them in some way.

Well, I really must go and get ready. I'll probably write about it later.

Comments

Popular Posts