Click your heels together 3 times.

The majority of our household is asleep.  Kacy and I are sitting down at our computers, mostly just staring into space and my Dad, who just woke up, asked me to fix him a bowl of cheerios.  Whether or not they will stay down, that's another question.  

There were three tornado warnings last night.  This morning when we went to check on the casita and say good morning to my cousin (who is working on the drywall), Kacy joked that unless we hear what sounds like a freight train outside the window we don't panic when it comes to tornados.  After all, we're from the midwest - we know about tornadoes.  They did, however, close the schools this morning.  Both Megan and Jackson had already gotten on the bus (they get on super early) and the bus drivers brought them home relatively quickly.  Looking at the news reports this morning there is a lot of damage just north of us.  One of the reports was just a little to the north of us and another was a bit to the east and north of us.  The pictures of the damage were definitely concerning.  

I checked in with all of my friends in the area and so far everyone seems to be okay.  Oddly enough, the tornado warnings last night were not my biggest concern.  My Dad had an extreme amount of confusion last night.  He went to bed fairly early, around 8pm.  Around 9:30 he rolled over and I asked him if he was okay.  He said no, that he was very confused and wasn't sure where he was.  I explained that he was home with us in Florida.  He asked if he was at where we were building the casita and I said yes.  He then asked if we had to take a trip tomorrow (meaning today).  I told him that no, we didn't have to go anywhere and he was happy about that.  I reiterated that he was home, safe and sound with us and that we were taking good care of him.  He proceeded to say okay, but then kind of laughed and said "I got you didn't I? I'm just joking."  While I was and still am rather concerned about his mental capacity, I simply gave him a hug and said "Yep, you got me good, Dad."  My current goal is to just make him as comfortable as possible.  

We are keeping an eye on the weather and I'm counting down the days for when we meet with the new doctor here in Florida.  While I know it probably won't do any good nor do I think it will add much to anything that we're currently doing, I think I just want to talk to the doctor to actually make sure that we have all our bases covered. I still can't shake the feeling like the doctor's in Kentucky missed something, but even if they did - congestive heart failure and kidney disease... he's 82 years old.  He's declining in health and there's nothing that can be done.  My Dad is never not going to need help again.  We just keep moving forward - trudging forward.  It's spooky season, so I like to try and add a little humor and say we're trudging forward like a zombie. Ha!


Comments

Popular Posts