Insert Phil Collins Song Here.

The sun shines bright on my dad's ol' Kentucky nursing home and today, we made a break for it after Dad's nephrology doctor appointment and decided that it wasn't that important to get back right away - we did, after all, have a full tank of oxygen to play with so off we went for ice cream.  We stopped in and checked on the house (as per his instructions), but he wasn't able to come in and see all of the "improvements" I've been making (hanging pictures up, installing a new shower rod and shower curtain, cleaning, organizing, etc.).  

The doctor's appointment sucked ten kilometers of a well-endowed monkey cock.  Yeah, I know, that's a big monkey.  He was unhelpful but informative and I honestly am not sure what to think or do about the information that was given.  I was worried, I was nervous, I was expecting worse.  In fact, I'm still expecting worse, but I have a feeling that will come sometime next week.  At which point, I will get to make a decision - say fuck it and bring my Dad home or start racking up frequent flyer points, miles, whatever it is they are calling it these days.  

The doctor said that he had 35% kidney function, which it doesn't help that he's also in congestive heart failure because the heart can't pump strongly enough to actually pump stuff through the kidneys, which causes toxins to build up, which causes fluid build-up, and ultimately it's just like a Mobius strip of absolute shit.  My Dad wants a pacemaker but he doesn't seem to understand that he's not a candidate for one and honestly?  I feel like this whole thing is a racket.  Just let him have some peace.  

I've kind of come to the conclusion that I'm just going to say fuck it if the doctor next week (the hematologist) says that he needs to keep working on his strength, blah blah blah.  I want to plan one last road trip with my dad and we'll take the long way, get out, and walk (well, I'll walk and he'll ride in his wheel chair - I really gotta find some holographic spinners for one) every couple of hours.  I'm going to start hitting Atlas Obscura and see what I can find between here and Florida that seems entertaining and then I'll take a nice long trip with my Dad.  We'll have some fun and I'll get to enjoy one last trip with him.  That seems like the perfect thing to do.  

Then, we'll get him settled at our house in Florida and try and enjoy the time we have left together.  It'll be great.  And I'll wear a diaper on the way down too so he doesn't feel as bad.  HAHAHA! (I'm kidding - I don't have the urge to wear a diaper at all - I'll get there soon enough, thank you very much.)

So yeah, that's where I'm at right now.  Tomorrow, I drive to Land Between the Lakes and down to the boat to check out the damage there.  That really was the final straw, emotionally speaking - not being able to take that trip down to Florida with him.  We shall just have to do what we can and there isn't anything else we can do about it.  

My Dad isn't going to live forever.  I know this.  I just want to enjoy the time with him that I can.  

Comments

Popular Posts