I see you in the ICU

 We took my Dad to the hospital this past week.  He was in there from Monday afternoon until yesterday.  Halloween was skipped and I spent most of that day in the ICU keeping him company.  The pneumonia and everything finally caught up to him.  He was released yesterday, with the charge nurse informing me that she thought he could use a couple of extra days.  I don't disagree with her assessment, either.  I love my Dad, but he's a stubborn guy and lives his life with all the privilege that he's taught me by example - including the level of impatience he has for things that aren't handled immediately.  I got a double dose of that growing up.  

I'm glad he's back home now and I'm taking a much firmer hand with him, shifting my thinking to he's more of a stubborn toddler that needs a firm hand.  He's also a very heavy toddler, because thanks to Kacy's cooking he has gained back 10 pounds of what he lost.   Yesterday, he very much wanted to take a bath, so we fixed up a bath for him.  Getting him in and out of the tub was an ordeal that I do not want to repeat anytime soon.  We will do sitting down showers and sink baths from here on out, methinks, because helping him in and out of the tub took about 15 minutes in each direction and despite the anti-slip mat that I got for the tub?  That was an ordeal and a half.  

I also had the joy of breaking my toe this past week on the teak shower stool we have for Dad.  I had set it outside our bedroom door and walked right into it before we went to bed.  My toe is now a lovely shade of purple, red and yellow and has been throbbing on and off for 3 days now.  I can't seem to wear anything but sneakers with it and while I don't necessarily mind, walking around is not my favorite activity and with dad back, there's a lot of activity.   

I was able to get a few good nights of sleep which was very helpful.  It has done my mood wonders.  I think I may actually be able to unwind myself a bit from here on out.  The home healthcare nurse is supposed to be here sometime today.  We'll see how that goes.  



Comments

Popular Posts